Theoretical seminar | 05 April 2023
A very efficient and accurate method is proposed to evaluate the bound and complex waves in 2-D periodic waveguides. The method is based on lattice sums (LSs) technique. LSs are the series involving Hankel functions of arbitrary order, which are not convergent for complex wavenumbers. It is shown that by extending Ewald representations to higher order Hankel functions, the LSs can be expressed in terms of spatial and spectral series, granting Gaussian convergence even in the case of complex and leaky waves. The presented LS formalism is numerically slim, very fast, and thus well suited for the analysis of a significant class of lossy periodic waveguides and leaky-wave antennas. Its application in millimeter-wave (directive wideband antenna design) and optical devices (optical logic gates) is discussed.
1) P. Baccarelli, L. Tognolatti, V. Jandieri, S. Ceccuzzi, C. Ponti and G. Schettini, “Leaky-Wave Radiation from 2-D Dielectric Lattices Excited by an Embedded Electric Line Source,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 7404 - 7418, 2021.
2) V. Jandieri, R. Khomeriki, L. Chotorlishvili, K. Watanabe, D. Erni, D.H. Werner and J. Berakdar, “Photonic Signatures of Spin-Driven Ferroelectricity in Multiferroic Dielectric Oxides,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 127, 127601, 2021.
3) V. Jandieri, S. Ceccuzzi, P. Baccarelli, G. Schettini, D. Erni, W. Hong, D.H. Werner and K. Yasumoto, “Efficient Analysis of Radiation from a Dipole Source in Woodpile EBG Structures,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 389 - 400, 2022.
4) L. Tognolatti, V. Jandieri, S. Ceccuzzi, C. Ponti, G. Schettini and P. Baccarelli, “Highly Directive Leaky-Wave Radiation in 2-D Dielectric Photonic Crystals,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, (early access, in press).
5) V. Jandieri, P. Baccarelli, G. Valerio and G. Schettini, “1-D Periodic Lattice Sums for Complex and Leaky Waves in 2-D Structures using Higher-Order Ewald Formulation,“ IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 2364 - 2378, 2019.